- The locative case expresses the location which may be:
- Place : okul-da(at school), yer-de (on the floor), sinema-da (at the theatre), bahçe-de (at the garden)
- Time: altı Haziran-da(on six June), sonbaharda(in the autumn)
- in an abstract : televizyon-da güzel bir film var ( there is a nice film on television), gençlik-te (in young age), sağlik-te (in health), yemek-te (the act of eating)
- the locative case is also used with expressions indicating shape, size, colour and age: Kalp şeklinde bir taş (a stone in a shape of a heart), yirmi metre uzunluğun-da bir bina (a building of twenty metres length, portakal rengin-de bir elbise ( a dress of an orange- colour), otuz yaşın-da (30 years old), aynı fikir-de-yiz(we have the same opinion)
The suffix –de denotes where an action takes place or where a person or a thing is located. It means “on” “at” “in”. It has four variants –de, -da , -te, -ta depending on the last consonant of the base. When the base ends in one of the following consonants p,t,k,ç,s,ş,f,h then the suffix –de or –da becomes –te or –ta.
sınıf-ta (in the classroom)sepet-te (in the basket)durak-ta (at the station)ağaç-ta (on the tree)mutfak-ta (in the kitchen)ofis-te (at the office)tabak-ta (in the plate)
Besides, depending on the vowel of the last syllable you must decide whether you put –da or –de.
After e,i,ö,ü you must write –de or -te and after a,ı,o,u you must write
-da or –ta.
cadde-de (n the road) ev-de (at home) araba-da (in the car) oda-da (in the room) köy-de (at the village) okul-da (at school) otobüs-te (on the bus) şoför-de (at the driver) bakkal-da (at the grocer’s) market-te (at market) masa-da (on the table) bardak-ta (in the glass)
- Personal pronouns can also take the suffıx –de with the meaning of possession
- Ben-de on me, in me.
- Sen-de on you, in you.
- On-da on him, her.
- Biz-de on,in us.
- Siz-de on, in you.
- Onlar-da on, in them.
Ben-de para var.
I have moneySen-de bilet yok
You don’t have a ticketOnlar-da saat var.
They have a clockBiz-de ev var.
We have a homeSiz-de telefon kartı var
You have a phone cardOn-da televizyon yok.
He/she doesn’t have a TV
İnterrogative pronouns can also take the suffixe –de
Where do you work? Banka-da çalışıyorum.
I work at the bank. Kitap nere-de?
Where is the book? Kitap masa-da
The book is on the table. Elbiseler nerede?
Where are the dresses? Elbiseler dolapta.
The dresses are in the wardrobe. Kim-de cep telefonu var?
Who has a mobile? Bende var.
I have. Saat kaç-ta buluşalım?
What time shall we meet? Saat on buçukta buluşalım.
We shall meet at half past ten. Evde kaç oda var?
How many rooms are the house? Evde beş oda var.
There are five rooms. Uçakta kaç yolcu var?
How many passengers are on the plane? Uçakta yüz on yolcu var.
There are a hundred and ten passengers. Dolapta neler var?
What are in the cupboard? Dolapta bardaklar var.
There are glasses in the cupboard İstanbul’da deniz var mı?
Is there sea in Istanbul? Evet, var.
Yes, there is. Yolda neler var?
What are on the road? Yolda arabalar var.
There are cars on the road.